Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Latino males have limited first-name options.

If you're Latino and you're a male, there are somewhere between 12-15 names that could be your first name. It's a fact. If you're the parent of a Latino boy, I assume that this makes things easier when considering names for your child.

When was the last time you met a Latino dude, and he told you his name, and you thought to yourself, "Wow, I've never heard that one before." I'll tell you when the last time was. It was never.

When you and that dude met, and he told you his name, what you thought was, "I totally could have guessed that. I knew his name was Jorge. I knew it the second I saw him. Jorge...or Jose. Or Juan. Or Ricardo. Or Pedro. Or Jaime. Or Jesus. Or Enrique. But that's it. And that's all it could've been. I had that dude pegged." And indeed you did.

Get 15 Latino dudes in a room. Give each man one of those blue stickers that says, "Hello. My Name Is________." Explain to each of them what that means, and have them write down their names. If each sticker has a different name written on it, run for cover.

The Rapture has begun.

2 Comments:

Blogger HELMAR said...

Ay maing, jou forgot Rigoberto, Arnulfo, y Gordinflas.

10:36 AM  
Blogger HELMAR said...

The only culture with a NARROWER range of names to choose from would have to be the Arabs. The 3 or 4 different name possibilities aren't just limited to 1st names as with Latinos, they only have a palette of about 4 or 5 last names as well. I'd want to kill myself for a pointless cause too.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home